Commitment to Academic Excellence
• Student-athletes at Kent State University are each assigned a college advisor within their chosen area of study. Students meet with their advisor a minimum of once per semester to assist with schedule planning and progress towards degree requirements.
• Student-athletes are also assigned an athletic academic counselor. The academic counselor works very closely with student-athletes on monitoring NCAA requirements and general academic-related questions. Student-athletes meet frequently with their academic counselor, some on a weekly basis, to ensure that they are remaining on-track in their academic courses.
Academic Resource Center (ARC)
• The Academic Resource Center, commonly referred to as the “ARC”, is a computer lab and tutoring center dedicated to the success of student-athletes at KSU. The ARC is located at the rear of the MAC Center and has computers, private study rooms, and tutors available for use by KSU student-athletes.
• Tutoring services are provided free of charge to all student-athletes. Tutoring is available for all Liberal Education Requirement courses (LER) within the Academic Resource Center (ARC). Athletics also employs numerous on-call tutors for all upper-division courses.
• Study tables are required of all student-athletes at Kent State University. Student-athletes are assigned a number of study table hours by their coach and those supervised study hours must be completed by the student-athlete by the conclusion of each week. Study table hours are commonly completed within the Academic Resource Center and are tabulated by our ARC monitoring system.
• Grade progress checks are completed on all student-athletes at the mid point of each semester. Academic counselors send requests to the student-athletes instructors requesting an estimated grade, attendance report, and general comments. These reports are shared with the student-athletes as well as the coaching staff of the student. Tutoring services are required as needed based upon grades.
• The Academic Honors Dinner is held each spring to honor those student-athletes who achieve a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA or a 4.0 semester GPA within the academic year. Additional endowed and special awards are presented as well.