Kent State Awards & Honors
• 2012 Louisville Slugger Third Team Pre-Season All-America
• 2012 Team Co-Captain
• 2011 American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA)/Rawlings NCAA Mideast Region First Team
• 2011 First Team All-MAC
• 2011 MAC Tournament MVP
• 2011 All-MAC Tournament Team
• Letterwinner: 2009, '10, '11
Career Game Highs
Innings Pitched: 8.2 (vs. Toledo, 5/28/10)
Strikeouts: 11 (twice, last time: vs. Miami, 5/28/11)
2011 Junior Season Highlights
• Started 16 of the 17 games he played in, going 9-3 on the mound posting a 2.18 ERA to go along with 117 strikeouts, which tied Andy Sonnanstine (2004) for the most strikeouts in a single season in school history and was tied for the 16th-most in the nation in 2011, helping him garner American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA)/Rawlings NCAA Mideast Region First Team and First Team All-MAC honors.
• Was the Sunday starter in an all-left-handed rotation that anchored a pitching staff that ranked sixth in the nation in team ERA with a 2.66 mark under the tutelage of associate head coach/pitching coach Mike Birkbeck.
• Pitched seven or more innings on eight occasions and struck out seven or more batters 10 times.
• Went 2-0 in two starts in the 2011 MAC Tournament, striking out 15 and allowing just two earned runs on 10 hits in 14.1 innings en route to garnering MVP accolades - including matching his career-high of 11 strikeouts as the Flashes stormed past Miami (5/28), 11-0, in the 2011 MAC Tournament Championship Game.
2010 Sophomore Season Highlights
• Started all 16 games he appeared in, going 7-3 with a 5.09 ERA and 76 strikeouts in 88.1 innings of work. His 16 starts tied for the team lead while he ranked fifth in the MAC in strikeouts.
• Earned his first victory of the season at Wake Forest (2/28), hurling 5.2 innings and striking out five as Kent State won, 13-8.
• Picked up his second straight pitching win by fanning six over six innings as Kent State topped Illinois State (3/7), 7-4.
• Tallied his third win at Toledo (3/26) by striking out four in five innings as Kent State won 3-1.
• Upped his record to 4-1 by hurling a seven-inning one hitter against Western Michigan (4/2), a 7-1 Kent State victory.
• Won his third start in a row by scattering five hits over seven innings and surrendering one run to go along with three strikeouts as Kent State rolled to a 16-1 win at Eastern Michigan (4/9).
• Earned his sixth win of the season at Buffalo (4/23), fanning six over five frames to help Kent State to a 9-4 victory.
• Worked seven innings and struck out five as Kent State topped Akron (5/20), 9-2.
• Competed for the Southern Ohio Copperheads of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, earning selection as a Red Team All-Star. He made six appearances with one victory, striking out 28 in 31 innings of work. He was credited with Southern Ohio's pitching victory in its lone playoff win, fanning six in six innings of work.
2009 Freshman Season Highlights
• Pitched in 19 games for the Flashes, starting two of them.
• Tallied 27 strikeouts in 25.2 innings pitched, posted a 4.21 ERA this season with a 2-0 record.
• With the go-ahead run at second with two outs in the top of the ninth in the NCAA Tournament against Cal Poly (5/30), Starn struck the batter out looking for his second career save.
• A season high five strikeouts came against Duquesne (4/29).
• Had a season-best game during the victory against Youngstown State (4/22) allowing only one hit in 2.2 innings pitched.
• Helped Kent State during the MAC Tournament, pitching three innings against Miami (5/22) allowing only two hits and recording two strikeouts for his first collegiate save.
• Went 1-2 with a 1.80 ERA for the Southern Ohio Copperheads of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League. Struck out 36 batters in 30 innings of work and played in the league’s annual all-star game.
Prior to Kent State
• Helped Walsh Jesuit to a 34-3 record and an Ohio High School baseball state championship in 2008 under head coach Chris Kaczmar. The Warriors also won a state championship in 2006.
• As a pitcher, compiled a 34-6 record in three seasons for the Warriors, including a 17-3 record his senior year.
• He was named first team All-Ohio in 2008 while being name second team All-Ohio during the 2007 season.
• Also played for the Ohio Hurricanes club team.
• Also lettered in basketball in high school.
• Born May 19, 1990.
• Son of Vicki and Dave Starn.
• While in high school, volunteered for Habitat for Humanity.
• Educational studies.