MAC Play Begins Saturday As Kent State Travels To Buffalo
Complete Notes (.PDF)
Kent State (10-3; 0-0) begins defense of its back-to-back Mid-American Conference regular season titles by traveling to Buffalo (7-4; 0-0) for the start of MAC play on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. The Golden Flashes are seeking their first win in Alumni Arena since the 2008 campaign.
Tonight's game marks the seventh time in the last eight game Kent State has been away from home. The lone home game during the stretch for the Golden Flashes was a 90-65 victory over Shawnee State on Monday. Senior forward Justin Greene and senior guard Carlton Guyton each had 15 points in the win for the Golden Flashes which reached the 90-point plateau for the first time under first year Head Coach Rob Senderoff. Greene, who leads Kent State with 22 steals this season added three and was also 9-11 from the foul line. Having totaled 1,248 points, 106 blocks and 99 steals he needs only one steals to become the first 1,000-100-100 player in school history. Guyton meanwhile has been all over the stat sheet the last two games averaging 13.0 points, 5.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.0 steals. His production has helped trigger the two best offensive first halves of the season for the Golden Flashes which are averaging 42.0 points in the first half of the last two games.
Buffalo is 5-1 at home this season after a 111-59 win over Buffalo State on Wednesday. The Bulls stake claim to one of the best frontcourts in the nation with 6-7 forward Javon McCrea and 6-10 forward Mitchell Watt. McCrea leads the team with 18.8 points and 7.8 rebounds while Watt is averaging 15.8 points and 7.8 rebounds.
TV / Live Video Stream / Radio
Time Warner Cable SportsNet (Buffalo Area)
WNIR 100.1 FM (Ty Linder)
Next Up For Kent State
Kent State hosts Miami on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. and Bowing Green next Saturday, January 14 at 7:00 p.m.
• Justin Greene needs one steal to become the first player in Kent State history to record 1,000 points, 100 blocks and 100 steals in a career. Greene will also be the only active player in the MAC to accomplish the feat
• The Golden Flashes are averaging 20 free throw attempts per game and are 7-1 this season when shooting more free throws than the opposition
• Kent State ranks 16th in the nation forcing an average of 17.7 turnovers per game and has forced 20+ five times this year. The Golden Flashes also rank 17th nationally with 9.2 steals per game
• Carlton Guyton has given Kent State a +126 (+9.7 ppg) advantage in points scored when he has been on the court this season. Guyton has been on the floor for 80 percent of the Golden Flashes points scored
• Head Coach Rob Senderoff ranks third in the nation among rookie head coaches this season with a .769 winning percentage
Kent State - Buffalo Series Notes
• Kent State has a 25-7 lead in the all-time series.
• Buffalo has won the last thee games at home in the series and six of the seven wins have come at Alumni Arena
• Justin Greene averaged 15.3 points and 7.6 rebounds against Buffalo last season
• Justin Greene is 11th all-time at Kent State with 1,249 points needing 10 to match DeAndre Haynes (2002-06) and climb into the top 10 all-time
• Greene also needs four steals to become only the second player in Kent State history (Haminn Quaintance) to record 100 blocks and 100 steals in a career. Greene enters the game with 99 steals and 106 career blocks. He would be the first with 1,000 points, 100 steals and 100 blocks
• Greene is now fourth all-time in career rebounds with 684. His total is the most by a Kent State player in 25 years. He needs 16 rebounds to become only the fifth player in school history to reach 700 career rebounds
Most Wins by First Year
Division I Head Coaches in 2011-12 (through Jan. 5)
Coach School win win. %
1 Steve Prohm Murray State 14-0 1.000
2 Dave Rice UNLV 15-2 0.882
3 Rob Senderoff Kent State 10-3 0.769
4 Archie Miller Dayton 10-4 0.714
5 Paul Lusk Missouri State 9-5 0.643
6 Steve Masiello Manhattan 9-6 0.600
7 Steve Payne Tennessee Tech 9-6 0.600
8 Bryce Drew Valparaiso 9-6 0.600
9 Tony Jasick IPFW 8-6 0.571
10 Marty Wilson Pepperdine 7-6 0.538