Kent State Hosts Bowling Green On Saturday Night
Complete Notes (.PDF)
Kent State (11-4; 1-1) eyes its sixth straight home win on Saturday as Bowling Green (7-8; 1-1) pay a visit to the M.A.C. Center for a 7:00 p.m. contest. The Golden Flashes have won three of their last four following a 71-67 come-from-behind win over Miami on Wednesday night.
Senior forward Justin Greene rallied Kent State from a seven point deficit with six minutes to play by scoring a game high 23 points, including the go-ahead basket with 23 seconds remaining. Greene also added six rebounds and now needs only five rebounds to become only the fourth player in school history to grab 700 rebounds in a career. The 2011 MAC Player of the Year, Greene has elevated his game in MAC play this season averaging 19.5 points and shooting 63 percent (17-27) in the two games. Senior guard Michael Porrini went without a field goal on Wednesday, but more than filled up the box score in other areas. The 2011 MAC Defensive Player of the Year, Porrini contributed nine rebounds, four blocks, two steals to go along with eight assists. Seven of his rebounds came in the second half as Kent State held a 24-14 advantage on the glass after the break. Junior guard Randal Holt was also key to the second half board work securing all five of his rebounds while adding 16 points, including the tying lay-up with 1:27 and two insurance free throws in the final 10 seconds.
Bowling Green has started MAC play out by splitting a pair of home games thus far. The Falcons earned a win over Ohio then fell 56-55 in the final seconds to Akron on Wednesday. A'uston Calhoun leads three players in double figures with 12.6 points per game.
TV / Radio
WNIR 100.1 FM (Ty Linder)
Next Up For Kent State
Kent State hits the road for two games next week first traveling to Ohio on Wednesday and then over to neighboring rival Akron on Saturday. Both games will be televised live on SportsTime Ohio.
• Justin Greene became the first player in Kent State history to record 1,000 points, 100 blocks and 100 steals in a career in the game at Buffalo Greene is the only active player in the MAC to accomplish the feat
• Greene had 695 career rebounds and needs just five to become only the fourth player to have 700 in a career. His current total is the most by a KSU player in 25 years.
• The Golden Flashes are 165-26 (.864) at home over the last 13 years and have compiled a 509-250 all-time record in the historic building
• Kent State also owns a 64-7 (.901) home record against league competition since the start of the 2003-04 season
• The Golden Flashes have won five of the eight games in which they have tailed at halftime
• Kent State is 8-1 this season when shooting more free throws than the opposition
Kent State - Bowling Green Series Notes
• Kent State trails the all-time series 66-80.
• Kent State has faced Bowling Green (146) more times than any other opponent. Akron is second on the list with 133.
• The 66 wins against the Falcons are the second most for Kent State against any opponent trailing only the 69 victories against Akron.
• Kent State has won 21 of the last 28 meetings (21-7)