Kent State Squares Off With Akron In Regular Season Final On ESPN2
Complete Notes (.PDF)
As of Friday monring a limitied number of tickets remained. Kent State season ticket holders with a ticket dated for Saturday, March 3 will be valid for tonight.
Fans keep in mind if you are planning to wear heavy winter coats or a back pack that a capacity crowd for the game is expected and seating space will be limited.
Call 330-672-2244 for more information.
Kent State (20-9; 10-5 MAC) closes out the regular season at home against Akron (20-10; 12-3 MAC) as the biggest rivalry in the Mid-American Conference is once again brought to the national spotlight. The Golden Flashes have already secured a bye into the upcoming MAC Tournament quarterfinals, their 13th 20 win season in the last 14 years and a 14th consecutive year with at least 10 league wins.
Kent State will be honoring seniors Justin Greene, Michael Porrini, Carlton Guyton and Justin Manns who will be playing in their final home game looking to give the program an undefeated MAC home record for just the fourth time in school history (1990, 2002, 2008).
The 2011 MAC Player of the Year, Greene, has been a mark of consistency for the Golden Flashes scoring double digits in each of his last 16 games. A stretch that includes a 16-point, nine-rebound performance in the 68-61 win over Ohio on Wednesday. Playing in his final home game the 6'8" forward will end his career ranked top 10 all-time at Kent State in scoring, rebounding, blocks, field goals made, field goal percentage, free throws made, games won, and games played.
Akron has lost two straight following a 74-70 set back to Buffalo on Wednesday. The Zips can clinch the MAC regular season outright with a win. Zeke Marshall leads eight players averaging at least six points with a team high 10.2 ppg.
TV / Radio
ESPN2 (Mark Kestecher & Tim McCormick)
WNIR 100.1 FM (Ty Linder)
Next Up For Kent State
Kent State has earned a bye into the MAC Tournament quarterfinals which takes place on Thursday, March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
• Kent State has already secured at least a four seed in the MAC Tournament. A win accompanied by a loss by Ohio at Miami on Friday will earn the Golden Flashes a three seed.
• Kent State has won at least 20 games in 13 of the last 14 seasons and is one of only four teams (Kansas, Creighton & Gonzaga) to have won 10+ conference games in each of the last 14 years
• Kent State leads the league averaging 72.0 points per game during MAC play.
• The Golden Flashes are also shooting a league best 38 percent from three and 48 percent from the field in conference games
• The Golden Flashes recorded a season high 18 steals vs Ohio on Wednesday and rank 11th in the country averaging 8.8 steals a game
• Kent State is the only team in the MAC to have five players with at least 30 steals (over 1.0 spg)
• Randal Holt had a team high 20 points vs Ohio and leads the team with four 20+ point games this season
• Kent State owns a 69-7 (.908) home record against league competition since the start of the 2003-04 season.
Kent State - Akron Series Notes
• Kent State leads the all-time series 69-64
• The two teams split the regular season last year with each defending their home court
• Kent State has won seven of the last 11 meetings
• The 69 wins are the most for Kent State against any opponent
• Kent State has won 30 of the last 33 (33-3) meetings at home dating back to the 1964 season (46 years)