Postseason Play For Kent State Begins Thursday At USC Upstate
Complete Notes (.PDF)
CollegeInsider.com Tournament Home Page
Tickets can be ordered online through the USC Upstate ticket office. The G.B. Hodge Center in Spartanbug has a limited capacity of 818 and less than 50 tickets will be reserved for the visiting team and avaliable at the ticket gate the day of the game.
The book on the 2011-12 campaign is not closed yet as Kent State (21-11) travels to South Carolina to face USC Upstate (20-12; 13-5) in the first round of the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. No strangers to the postseason, the Golden Flashes are making their 13th postseason appearance in the last 14 years.
Kent State advanced to the Mid-American Conference Tournament semifinals before a 78-74 loss to top seeded Akron despite 20-point efforts from senior forward Justin Greene and junior guard Randal Holt. For the third consecutive year, Greene leads the team in scoring and rebounding averaging 14.1 points and 6.8 boards this season. He is on pace to end his career ranked top five all-time at Kent State in scoring, rebounding, blocks, field goals made and free throws made.
A major threat from beyond the arc, Holt is shooting 39 percent from three with a team high 72 three-pointers. He averaged a team best 15.3 points in the postseason last year leading the Golden Flashes into the NIT quarterfinals
USC Upstate is in its first season as a fully certified NCAA Division I member. The Spartans are 12-1 at home and led by Torrey Craig with 16.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.
Video / Radio
USC Upstate Free Video Stream
WNIR 100.1 FM (Rob Polinsky)
Next Up For Kent State
The CIT uses the old NIT model in which matchups in future rounds are determined by the results of the previous round. The second round takes place on March 17 or 18.
• The Golden Flashes are making their 13th postseason appearance in 14 years and 15th overall
• Kent State has won three postseason games in the last two years
• Kent State was one of 16 teams to participate in the inaugural CIT in 2009
• The Golden Flashes rank 13th in the country averaging 8.6 steals a game
• Kent State is the only team in the MAC to have five players with at least 30 steals (over 1.0 spg)
• Michael Porrini needs 10 assists to become just the second Kent State player to have back-to-back seasons with 160 assists. His career 4.6 apg is the third highest in school history
• Randal Holt's 72 three pointers are the most since Eric Haut had 74 in the 2004 season and the 5th highest single season mark at KSU.
• Justin Greene needs 27 points to move into the top three on Kent State's career scoring list. He is the only player in school history with over 1,500 points and 800 rebounds in a career.
Kent State - USC Upstate Series Notes
• This is the first meeting between the two schools
• USC Upstate is the third first time opponent for Kent State this year. The Golden Flashes have now played 187 of the current 350 Division I programs in the country