Game Day Preview: Flashes Start MAC West at Ball State Saturday
AM 640 WHLO in Kent
The only team left unbeaten in Mid-American Conference play, the Kent State women's basketball team (14-3, 5-0) begins crossover play to the MAC-West Division with its contest Saturday, Jan. 22 at Ball State. Tip-off between the Golden Flashes and the Cardinals is slated for 1 p.m.
Live stats and streamed video (subscription required) are available through the Ball State athletics website. The provided links will activate at the start of each game.
Kent State's contest will be aired live on terrestrial radio in the Kent area on AM 640 WHLO with Dave Wilson providing play-by-play commentary. Wilson's audio broadcast can also be heard online at kentstatesports.com.
In A Flash: Saturday marks the 1,000th game in Kent State women's basketball history.
Flash Forward: Kent State returns home Wednesday, Jan. 26 for a 7 p.m. contest against Northern Illinois.
Scouting the Flashes
Kent State continued its strong start to the MAC season Jan. 19 with its 72-55 home win over Akron. With an even attack on the offensive end, four players were in double figures for Kent State, led by Taisja Jones and her 17 points. Jamilah Humes added 15 points, while Ellie Shields and Chenel Harris each tallied 10 points, with Harris' paring her effort with a team-best 11 rebounds.
Senior guard Stephanie Gibson is on her way up the Kent State career record book ladder for assists. Now in her fourth season with the Golden Flashes, Gibson has 385 career assists, ranking her sixth in team history; she is five assists behind fifth-place Jennifer Grandstaff (390, 1985-88).
Senior guard and 1,000-point scorer Jamilah Humes currently leads Kent State in multiple categories, including points (14.4), assists (4.5) and steals (2.5) per game. Humes is ranked in the top 80 in the nation in both assists and steals per contest. In the scoring column, Humes is 14th in team history with 1,279 career points.
Scouting the Opponent
BALL STATE (7-11, 2-3)
All-time series: Kent State leads, 35-12
Lindsay vs. Ball State: 25-8
Current Kent State streak: W1
• Ball State had a two-game winning streak stopped by Northern Illinois Jan. 19 in a 73-62 road setback to the Huskies. Ty'Ronda Benning tallied 22 points as the team's lone player in double figures in points while Emily Maggert grabbed 13 rebounds.
• On the season, senior Emily Maggert leads the Cardinals with 15.6 points and 9.1 rebounds per game, while fellow senior Ty'Ronda Benning is chipping in 13.0 ppg.
• Kelly Packard is in her third season at the helm of the Ball State program, where she owns a 47-37 record as a collegiate head coach. Packard also had a stint as the head coach of the Colorado Chill of the NWBL, where she registered a 34-12 mark in two seasons.
• Wednesday marks the 48th all-time meeting between Ball State and Kent State. It's the second-least opposed foe for the Flashes among MAC-West challengers.
• In the last 11 regular season meetings between Kent State and Ball State dating back to the 1998 season, the home team has been the victor.
• During her freshman season in 2007-08, Ellie Shields missed a double-double with 17 points and nine rebounds in a 69-54 win for Kent State.
• Against Ball State, senior forward Chenel Harris is averaging around 7.0 ppg higher than her career average.