Kent State Women's Basketball's Season-Opening Road Trip Concludes At Robert Morris
Golden Flashes look to bounce back from season-opening loss at Marshall.
The Kent State women's basketball team concludes its 2011 two-game season-opening road trip with a Tuesday (Nov. 15) visit to Robert Morris. Opening tip at the Charles L. Sewall Center is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Tuesday's game against the Colonials will feature live stats and live web video (subscription required). The provided links will activate at the start of Tuesday's game.
Tuesday's contest will be aired live on both WARF-AM Sportsradio 1350 and KentStateSports.com, with Dave Wilson providing play-by-play commentary for a second straight season. Click the link above to listen live on your computer.
IN A FLASH
• Kent State is 1-3 all-time in games played on Nov. 15, including a 90-65 loss at Robert Morris
• The Flashes are 6-2 all-time against teams from the Northeast Conference (NEC).
• Kent State’s streak of seven straight victories in the months of November was snapped with its
93-55 loss at Marshall last Friday. The Golden Flashes have won 14 of their last 17 games in the
penultimate month of the year.
Kent State welcomes Morehead State to the M.A.C. Center Friday (Nov. 18) for the 2011-12 home opener.
SCOUTING THE FLASHES
Kent State lost to host Marshall in its 2011-12 season opener, 93-55, last Friday (Nov. 11) at the Cam Henderson Center.
The Golden Flashes were led by junior guard Trisha Krewson, who tallied a game-high 18 points in her Kent State debut. Freshman guard Jamie Hutcheson added nine points and a game-high four assists in her first collegiate start while junior center Leslie Schaefer chipped in eight and recorded a team-high six rebounds (two offensive, four defensive).
Two fifths of Kent State’s starting five last Friday were freshmen making their collegiate debuts. Joining Hutcheson in the starting lineup was guard Itziar Llobet, who scored five points and accounted for four of Kent State’s six steals. Kent State’s other four freshman saw action off the bench, as guards Dena Droste, Lerren Ducharme and Josie Hull and forward Melanee Stubbs all entered the game.
The Golden Flashes were solid from the charity stripe, knocking down 14 of 17 free throws.
The loss dropped Kent State to 18-19 all-time in season lid lifters, including a 12-11 mark during the Bob Lindsay era. Marshall beat Kent State for just the seventh time in 23 tries. The Golden Flashes have responded to a season-opening defeat by winning their second game eight times.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
ROBERT MORRIS COLONIALS (1-0 overall, 0-0 NEC)
All-time series: Kent State leads, 4-2
KSU's Lindsay vs. Robert Morris: 3-2
Current Streak: W3
• Preseason All-Northeast Conference selection Artemis Spanou was already in mid-season form as she led the Robert Morris to a season-opening 62-47 win over Coppin State at the Charles L. Sewall Center last Saturday night. Spanou, the reigning NEC Rookie of the Year, tallied 12 points and ripped down a game-high 13 rebounds to record her 13th career double-double and get the Colonials off to a 1-0 start.
• Robert Morris was picked to finish second in the NEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll and returns two starters and six letterwinners from a 2010-11 team that went 16-14 and 12-4 in NEC play. The Colonials are led by ninth-year head coach Sal Buscaglia.
• Kent State seeks its fifth win in seven meetings against the Colonials. The squads will be squaring off for the sixth straight season. The Flashes weathered a late Robert Morris rally on Dec. 29, 2010, to capture a 66-60 victory over the Colonials at the M.A.C. Center. Five players were in double figures for Kent State, led by Tamzin Barroilhet and her 16 points. Barroilhet fired 7-of-8 from the field, including 2-of-3 from three-point range.