Women's Soccer Preview - Kent State Starts MAC Slate This Weekend
|Bowling Green (4-7-0, 1-1-0 MAC)||0||0||0||0|
|Kent State (7-3-0, 1-1-0 MAC)||0||0||1||1|
|3rd - 94:24||DUTTON, Jaclyn (Kent State)|
|Bowling Green||Kent State|
Sh: ZUCCARO, Alyssa - 3
Sv: ARNOLD, Laura - 2
DUTTON, Jaclyn - 1
A: 2 Players (#3, #23 - 1)
Sh: DUTTON, Jaclyn - 5
Sv: SHERWOOD, Kelly - 3
|TEAM STATISTICS||Bowling Green||Kent State|
|Shots (on goal)||13 (3)||15 (3)|
|Miami (6-2-0, 1-0-0 MAC)||0||2||2|
|Kent State (6-4-0, 0-1-0 MAC)||0||1||1|
|2nd - 45:52||Katy DOLESH (Miami)|
|2nd - 75:43||Kayla ZAKRZEWSKI (Miami)|
|2nd - 86:04||SALERNO, Vanessa (Kent State)|
2 Players (#4, #27 - 1)
A: 3 Players (#14, #18, #22 - 1)
Sh: Katy DOLESH - 3
Sv: Allison NORENBERG - 4
SALERNO, Vanessa - 1
A: STAPLETON, Jenni - 1
Sh: DUTTON, Jaclyn - 6
Sv: SHERWOOD, Kelly - 4
|TEAM STATISTICS||Miami||Kent State|
|Shots (on goal)||12 (6)||20 (5)|
The Kent State women’s soccer team (6-2-0) begins the 2011 Mid-American Conference slate this weekend when the Golden Flashes entertain Miami (Ohio) Friday, Sept. 23 for a 4 p.m. first touch at Zoeller Field. Kent State will then host Bowling Green Sunday, Sept. 25 for a 1 p.m. match.
Live stats for both weekend contests will be available at kentstatesports.com at the start of the game.
Scouting the Flashes
• The Golden Flashes posted their fourth shutout of the season Sept. 16 with their 4-0 win over IUPUI. The Kent State defense held the Jaguars to just three shots on goal.
• With her goal against IUPUI Sept. 16, sophomore Jessacca Gironda is now tied for seventh in team history with 14 career goals.
• Just eight games into the season, 12 different Kent State players have at least one goal or one assist.
• In the Sept. 19 release of the NCAA statistics, Kent State’s offense ranks 45th in the NCAA, averaging 2.25 goals per game. Defensively, the team is 41st nationally in shutout percentage.
Scouting the Opponents
• Miami (5-2-0) is fresh off a 2-1 overtime win against Indiana State Sept. 18. In the game, Kayla Zakrzewski had both goals, including her shot on a Jess Kodiak corner kick in the 94th minute.
All-Time Series: Miami owns a slim 7-6-1 lead in the all-time series with Kent State. The home team has won the last four games and nine times in the series history. Four of the last five meetings have been decided by one goal.
• Bowling Green (3-6-0) had a two-game winning streak halted Sept. 18 with a 4-0 setback to Valparaiso to conclude non-conference play for the Falcons. BGSU is led offensively by Alyssa Zuccaro and Sarah VonderBrink, who each have four points.
All-Time Series: Kent State aims to end an eight-game winless streak against Bowling Green; the last win for the Golden Flashes against the Falcons came during the 2004 campaign. All-time, Bowling Green leads Kent State 10-3-4.
The Golden Flashes will hit the highways for a two-game road swing next weekend. Kent State will face Eastern Michigan Friday, Sept. 30 before their contest against Central Michigan Sunday, Oct. 2.